June 16, 2014 Volume
“The highest and most beautiful things in life are not to be heard about, nor read about, nor seen but, if one will, are to be lived.” — Søren Kierkegaard (Danish philosopher, poet and social critic, 1813-1855 )
Canac chain in Quebec to open 24th store
L’ANCIENNE-LORETTE, Que. — Canac, the giant building centre chain headquartered here, is building a new store in Rimouski that is slated to open this fall. The store will have 60,000 square feet in size, with 25,000 square feet of retail space. It is being built at a cost of $5 million and will employ 80.
This will be Canac’s 24th store, all of which are in Quebec. With estimated sales in 2013 of $307.5 million, it is one of the country’s largest independent home improvement retailers. While the company’s roots—and the majority of its stores—are in the Quebec City area, its stores extend as far south as Cowansville on Montreal’s South Shore.
Canac goes to market as a low-cost operator, especially aggressive when it comes to pricing of commodities. However, it offers a full home centre assortment that includes hardware, plumbing and electric, paint, floorcoverings and seasonal products.
A long-time member of Independent Lumber Dealers Co-operative, until it was asked to leave in 2007, the group operated unaffiliated until joining the LBM buying group TORBSA at the beginning of 2013.
Photo credit: http://www.cbdionne.com/realisations/commercial/canac
back to top
UFA to expand its hardware business with new store
CALGARY – Farm co-op UFA Co-operative Limited will open a new Farm & Ranch Supply store and Petroleum bulk fuel and cardlock in Airdrie, Alta., in early 2015.
The plan includes an expanded retail footprint of approximately 9,000 square feet with additional warehousing to support animal husbandry and crop management. The store itself will represent UFA’s newest design carrying the rural products required to support agricultural production, staffed by experts needed to support its membership.
“We believe in the vibrancy and sustainability of the Airdrie area. Investing in this new location demonstrates UFA’s continued commitment to the Airdrie community and surrounding areas,” said Todd Ormann, vice-president, AgriBusiness, which includes the co-op’s 35 existing Farm & Ranch Supply stores, plus one building centre in Fort McMurray, Alta.
back to top
TIM-BR MART rounds out dealer team, adds senior buyer
CALGARY — TIM-BR MART Group continues to build its team with the hiring of Kurt Norlen as group hardware procurement manager. Based at TIM-BR MART’s Calgary head office, Norlen will be responsible for managing the buying group hardware programs and Spancan buying programs. His job will be creating synergies between the buying group programs and TIM-BR MART’s wholesale hardware business, Chalifour.
Norlen will report directly to Randy Martin, vice president of business development.
TIM-BR MART Group has also made a hire that rounds out the buying group’s team of regional directors across the country. Ian Cook has been appointed regional director of member services (RDMS) for Ontario. He will act as liaison between TIMBER MART dealers, vendors, and the TIM-BR MART Group management team.
That group was formed initially with the hiring back of Daniel Rioux to serve in the RDMS role in Quebec and Eastern Ontario. Next came the promotion of two of TIM-BR MART’s existing dealer development people. Dave Dingwell was put in place for Atlantic Canada, while Phil Temple got the RDMS role for the West. That team also reports to Randy Martin.
In April, Eddie Durocher was promoted to national director of business development.
back to top
Roxul plant starts production in the U.S.
MARSHALL COUNTY, Miss. — Roxul Inc., the stone wool insulation manufacturer, has established its first U.S. facility, which went into production on June 10.
The 600,000-square-foot facility sits on 100 acres in the Chickasaw Trail Industrial Park, about 50 kilometres south of Memphis. The plant, which broke ground just over a year ago, was built at a cost of $160 million. The company says this new location will help Roxul maintain growth in key residential and commercial insulation markets in the mid and southern U.S. and Mexico.
“This is truly a historic occasion for Roxul,” said Trent Ogilvie, president of Roxul, based in Canada. “When conducting our site selection due diligence, it was clear that the State of Mississippi and Marshall County provided us the optimal location from both a manufacturing and distribution standpoint.”
Roxul currently operates two North American facilities in Canada, in Milton, Ont., and Grand Forks, B.C. It is a subsidiary of Rockwool International, which claims to be the world’s largest producer of stone wool insulation. A public company that trades on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange, it operates 28 factories in 18 countries.
back to top
CanWel seeks to “consolidate” shares
VANCOUVER — The Futura Corporation, holding company of investment wunderkind Amar Doman, has bought up more shares of CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. Futura, which is the majority owner of the wholesale building materials business, has acquired an additional 252,500 common shares.
Based on CanWel’s latest reporting, Futura now owns 8,463,554 common shares representing approximately 29.49% of the issued and outstanding common shares of CanWel. The move follows a resolution set forth at CanWel’s AGM last month to reduce the number of its outstanding common shares from approximately 57,386,555 to approximately 28,693,277.
Doman, who is chairman and sole shareholder of Futura Corp., is chairman and CEO of CanWel. He opened the Toronto Stock Exchange last month in a symbolic gesture that recognized CanWel’s 10th anniversary trading on the TSX.
back to top
Fusion Products Limited
Fusion Products Ltd. is a leading supplier of landscape lighting to North America retailers, with head office in Mississauga, Ontario. We are seeking a dynamic individual to fill this role.
You will report to the owners and:
- be responsible for successfully directing all facets of our business.
- have a financial background, hr experience and strong leadership style.
- have industry sales experience to manage key accounts, a sales team and client base to achieve sales and financial goals
- be familiar with supply chain management, Asian factory import experience and product development skills.
Competitive compensation package is offered. To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post secondary education in Business and/or equivalent experience,
- 3+ years operational experience at an equivalent level
- Strong distribution experience in the hardlines channel,
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and computer skills,
- Vendor and third party contract management experience,
- Ability to travel,
- desire to exceed customer expectations
back to top
Sales Manager (French Speaking) in Shawinigan, Quebec
Education Required: College Degree; University Preferred
Travel Required: Yes – 75%
Apply online at: http://careers.sherwin-williams.com/jobs/17733
- 5+ yrs of Managing Sales Organization & Account Management
- 5+ yrs of management experience
Knowledge of Regional Accounts in Canada
Distributor & Account Management
Regional Sales & Account Strategy Development
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
- Preferred: Paint related experience
back to top
National distributor of wood, metal and automotive
machinery and accessories. Seeks an experienced
TERRITORY SALES REPRESENTATIVE
for British Columbia
Ideal career opportunity for an agg\ressive,
self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal
and communication skills.
Please forward cover letter and resume to:
back to top
Retail National Accounts Sales Manager, Toronto based
A brand champion selling to home improvement retailers and mass merchants, this Canadian subsidiary is pursuing additional business and would be the perfect home for a sales driven, customer-intimate sales leader who wants responsibility for the strategic management of key Canadian national accounts. Specific duties will include:
- Development and management of senior level relationships with key retailer personnel including merchants, directors and buyers;
- Development and execution of a comprehensive plan to drive sales and profitability, including detailed tactics required to meet strategic objectives;
- Field analysis and recommendations on key trends, competitive activity, and general marketplace activity;
- Overcoming problems and finding satisfactory customer resolution;
- Assisting in the facilitation of corporate projects and initiatives including, but not limited to, new products, pricing, promotions, and training programs.
This is an excellent career opportunity with a market leader in a collaborative, cohesive environment. Interested? Please forward your resume quoting NAM-Toronto to email@example.com. Please note all responses will be forwarded directly to our client for their review and action. If there are any companies that you do not wish your resume forwarded to, please indicate those in your email and we will exclude your application.
Wolf Gugler Confidential Recruitment Advertising, a division of Wolf Gugler Executive Search. www.wolfgugler.com. 888-848-3006. Offices in Canada and the U.S.
- Key Account management: the ability to provide input into new category ideas or solutions. Also able to solicit and understand Customer feedback and make appropriate recommendations to further increase penetration, sales and profitability.
- Current or past successes in a retail national accounts role.
- Possess the skill set to analyze product category for competitive positioning and marketing or promotional opportunities.
- Resourceful; innovative, can find information when the answer is not known.
- Self-driven, competitive, team oriented, wants to be the “Category Captain”.
back to top