Feds unveil wage subsidy details

OTTAWA ― Businesses and non-profit groups whose revenues fall by 30 percent or more as a result of COVID-19 will qualify for a wage subsidy of 75 percent, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced. Eligibility will not depend on an organization’s number of employees. The subsidy will cover up to 75 percent of salaries on the first $58,700, a weekly payment of up to $847. “We are trusting you to do the right thing,” Trudeau said. “If you have the means to pay the remaining 25 per cent that is not covered by the subsidy, do it. And if you think this is a system you can game or take advantage of, don’t.” Finance Minister Bill Morneau will provide more details of the program today.