NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, Ont. — Suppliers and retailers from across Canada gathered last night to honour the retail home improvement industry’s best hardware and home improvement retailers. The occasion was the 2018 Outstanding Retailer Awards Gala Dinner, which marked the end of day one of the 23rd Annual Hardlines Conference at the scenic Queen’s Landing hotel in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont.
Dealers from across the country were celebrated in seven categories covering the range of hardware and home improvement retailing formats. Delegates at the Hardlines Conference joined leaders from the retail chains, co-ops and buying groups who attended the Gala Dinner to honour their members and fellow retailers.
This year’s winners are:
- Best Hardware Store, any size − Quincaillerie Sainte-Julie in Sainte-Julie, Que., Michel Robidoux and Marie-Josée Hébert, Owners;
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre under 15,000 square feet − Ace Building Centre-Kaslo in Kaslo B.C., Monica and Jeff Davie, Owners;
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre over 15,000 square feet − Matériaux JLS-BMR in Mansfield-en-Pontefract, Que., Connie Gutoskie Lasalle and Jean-Guy Lasalle, Owners;
- Best Contractor Specialist − Form & Build Supply in London, Ont., Bill Ross, Owner;
- Best Large Surface Retailer − Lowe’s South Windsor in Windsor, Ont., Mark Birse, Manager;
- Best Young Retailer − Tyler Dueck, Co-owner of RONA Valley Enterprises in Rosenort, Man.;
- Marc Robichaud Community Leader − Fort St. John Home Hardware Building Centre in Fort St. John, B.C., Doug and Shelley Gallinger, and Darrell and Debbie Alexander, Owners.
Chosen from a competitive field of nominees, the winners each displayed an edge that put them ahead of their peers in the areas of good business practice, customer relations, innovation and niche marketing.
“These retailers reflect a diversity of backgrounds, marketplaces and personal challenges, yet they all share a passion for retail and incredible connections with their customers and communities,” said Michael McLarney, President of Hardlines Inc., which presents the awards. “These winners are truly outstanding and set new standards for excellence in retail.”