KING CITY, Ont. — Suppliers and retailers from across Canada gathered this week to honour the retail home improvement industry’s best hardware and building supply retailers. The occasion was the 2019 Outstanding Retailer Awards Gala Dinner, which marked the end of day one of the 24th Annual Hardlines Conference at the Kingbridge Centre in King City, Ont.
Delegates at the Hardlines Conference joined leaders from the retail chains, co-ops and buying groups at the Gala Dinner to honour their members and fellow retailers. Dealers from across the country were celebrated in eight categories covering the range of hardware and home improvement retailing formats, including a brand-new category that recognizes the entrepreneurial spirit that is at the core of this industry.
This year’s winners are:
- Best Hardware Store, any size – Windsor Home Hardware in Windsor, N.S., Jeff Redden, Owner;
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre under 15,000 square feet – Norquay Co-operative Association Ltd. in Norquay, Sask., Justin Petelski, Manager;
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre over 15,000 square feet – Cobourg Home Hardware Building Centre in Cobourg, Ont., Brad and Alana O’Neill, Owners;
- Best Contractor Specialist – Wolf Creek Building Supplies in Lacombe, Alta., John deRegt, Owner;
- Best Large Surface Retailer – Lowe’s Crowfoot Calgary in Calgary,, Ahsan Rana, Manager;
- Best Young Retailer – Rebecca Wichers-Schreur, Vice President – HR & Administrative Services, Wood Works of Renfrew in Renfrew, Ont.;
- Marc Robichaud Community Leader – RONA L’entrepôt Plateau in Gatineau, Que., Christian Leduc, Manager;
- Independent Spirit – Ace Victory Building Centre in Mackenzie, B.C., Sylvain and Marilyne Laferriere, Owners.
The winners are carefully chosen from a field of high-quality nominees submitted from across the country. The winners stood out within this elite group thanks to their ability to exceed in the areas of good business practice, customer relations, innovation and niche marketing.