Two groups of construction employers in Quebec took to the media over the weekend appealing to industry unions to reconsider their rejection of the groups’ latest offers. The province’s construction workers have been without a contract since Friday.
The Association des professionnels de la construction et de l’habitation du Québec (APCHQ) announced it had offered pay increases of up to 8.5 percent. At the same time, the Association de la construction du Québec said in a press release it had offered increases of 7.5 percent. In return, the associations want contractors to begin tracking workers’ hours with electronic apps.
Speaking for the Alliance syndicale de la construction, Éric Boisjoly said the unions are open to “certain applications on certain devices” but need to examine the privacy issues they raise.” He confirmed that the proposed raises had been rejected as inadequate. The APCHQ is asking for an extension on the mediation process. Without a new contract, a strike or lockout could begin as early as May 21.