By HR and health & safety consultancy Peninsula Canada
Career development encompasses any form of professional development or education that supports staff in furthering their career. It is important for employers to prioritize career development to ensure their employees are in line with industry trends and best practices. Investing in additional training and education will lead to higher retention rates and an increase in productivity.
Employers can do their part in encouraging staff to have access to both internal and external learning opportunities.
Below are some effective ways employers can help their employees advance in their careers.
- Career pathways: It is important to define clear career pathways so that staff understand the skills and experiences needed to progress in their careers.
- Training programs: Provide training programs, workshops, and seminars that focus on enhancing employees’ skills and knowledge.
- Coaching and mentorship: Providing coaching opportunities will help to set up staff for success by setting career goals and creating development plans.
- Feedback and evaluation: Conduct regular performance reviews to help staff understand their strengths and areas for improvement. This will help them work on their professional growth.
- Internal job postings: Encourage internal job postings and promotions to give employees the opportunity to take on new challenges and responsibilities within the organization. This demonstrates the employer values and recognizes talent from within.
- Awards and recognition: Recognize and award employees’ contributions and achievements to their careers. This can include performance-based bonuses or public acknowledgment.
Peninsula is a trusted HR and health & safety advisory company, serving over 6,000 small businesses across Canada. Clients are supported with ongoing updates of their workplace documentation and policies as legislation changes. Additionally, clients benefit from access to our 24/7 employer HR and OHS advice line and coverage on legal through our Peninsula Protect service promise.